I made a mistake…and mistake that cost me a MONTH of “livable income”!!
I recently had to fire my 1:1 business coach – who will remain unnamed but I will say the stress of working with her was worse than the stress of losing my $2,200 investment.
Check out my live stream of the story, shared via my Facebook business page:
Do/Don’ts Learned from My $2,200 Mistake:
– Don’t allow for a “no refund” policy (some coaches bristle at this, so I’d love to hear your thoughts!)
– Do stay true to YOU and your passions
– Don’t let someone bully you into thinking you HAVE to outsource. I’ve made all my money thus far by NOT outsourcing, it wasn’t until I did that I saw my business dip.
– Do your research. Go into groups and ask “Hey, does anyone have any experience working with (Jane Doe)?” If you know the person is in some of the same groups, their own or otherwise, search the name and see: if she promoting all of her own stuff and only interacting in a “love this!” kind of way or is she genuinely engaging?
– Don’t invest if you don’t have the money to. I had zero credit card debt before I made this mistake.
– DO LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCTS. If something smells like snake oil, it’s probably snake oil.
Do NOT ever hesitate to e-mail me if you have a question about something, blogging or otherwise.
I’m not claiming to be an expert in all things “blog” but I’ve been doing it for nearly 20 years – if I don’t have an answer, I know who does.
There will never be a sales pitch, there will never be a “Hey, if we want to take this further, you’ll need to invest $897…” (which is what was actually suggested to me to do).
I am here to help YOU if you need me – whether you’re a stranger or otherwise.
UPDATE: Since sharing this story, I have had DOZENS and DOZENS of you reach out to me, to thank me for sharing and to share your own similar stories. I am so grateful for each and every one of you that has done so, although I’d never wish anyone make the same mistake I did.
This industry needs to change. I’m sick of seeing 20 year olds claiming to be business experts when they have ZERO experience in business before starting their own. COME ON. Just because you hired a coach does not make YOU a coach. Now I’m not saying all young 20-somethings are delusional when it comes to being business savvy, but if you don’t have a background in business (educational or otherwise) beyond what you hired two or three other people to teach you – YOU. ARE. NOT. FIT. TO. COACH.
Watch below for more on my thoughts and how YOUR responses have prompted changes in my own business:
I’d love to hear from more of you, so please join us over in my Facebook community and let’s talk!